PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing at X-Roads?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2024, 00:44
tdracer

Received 184 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by kiwi grey
And two more in the last two days, according to the AvHerald:I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a real and possibly fundamental problem with the B878 windscreen. Is there a design issue with the transparency itself, or a production issue? Is there a design issue with the window frame, or a production issue? Is there an installation process design issue?
I wonder how long before the NTSB or the FAA begins to investigate what seems to me to be an unaccountably high frequency of B787 windscreen failures
You also have to consider that - right now - the press is all over anything Boeing related like ants on honey. I've seen headlines to the effect of "More Boeing Woes" incidents such as the Atlas 747-8 engine failure (news item, engines occasionally fail). Sometimes things break - and there are continued airworthiness standards that require operators report all those items.
As others have noted, windshield cracks are not particularly uncommon - you need to look at events over a much longer time period than one week to determine if there is a generic issue or a statistical fluke.