PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets - Should you? and Which?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2004, 17:30
B47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone any experience of the David Clark helmet that incorporates existing headsets? I know it looks mickey mouse compared to a pro Gentex, but as a PPL having invested in decent DC headsets and also converted them to ANR, the DC helmet would seem to be a sensible option and save junking the headsets.

PPLs have a simple decision to make - no complications over paying passenger's reactions, etc. Seems if we're honest, the only factor is fear of being laughed at. As a 100hr a year B47 private pilot, having followed this thread from the beginning, it seems I'd be mad not to wear something to protect me from a potentially fatal crack on the side of the head in a roll-over.

'Yes Mrs B47 widow, he did a good auto after engine failure but the only field available was soft and ploughed. He did his best, but with no wind that day, he still had a little forward speed on touchdown. The aircraft rolled over and he died from a blow to the head from the sharp edges on the B47 door frame.....'

And a Sioux on its side throws 200 ltrs of Avgas over a red-hot turbo, so even if you're only knocked out......

Seems protecting my wife from that scenario should be more important that worrying about 'does my head look silly in this?'

Also, the glare with the 'no roof' B47 bubble forces you to wear some kind of peak or visor. Anyone know where to find visors and peaks that fix to the DC helmet? DC say many aftermarket ones fit, but no-one can tell me where to get them.

(advice on zero auto touchdowns in nil wind not required..!)