PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2024, 11:24
P40Warhawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steponas
Hi guys,

Hope everyone is doing fantastic!
I know, that there are a lot of similar discussions, but I would like to raise this topic again, just for the internal discussion I've been in aviation since 10 years now. All my experience was build in aircraft maintenance field. Today, I've done my PPL(A) and considering to move forward towards the big dream. Fly the Jet. Currently, I am 31 years old with total flight time around 61 hours, this is including training hours. Considering that I should live my life, go to work, take care of the family, pay the bills, raise the child, I could afford my dream in approx. from 3 to 5 years, which is means, that for the right seat, I am ready at my 36th. This is the timing, where I can be confident and within comfort zone considering that life is moving on and as well as financial aspects. So, the question is, am I to old for this at my 36th??

Would be lovely to hear your story regarding the full path of becoming commercial pilot.

Have a lovely day everyone!
Labas Diena Su Vistiena 😄✈️.

You still have about 30 years of career ahead of you from your 36th 😄😉.

The question is, what do you wish to achieve? Cpt. Big Jet or is Medium Short Haul Jet also OK? Will you be satisfied as well with Turbo Prop Job or Biz Jet?
Especially in your country, aviation biz is small, everyone knows eachother.

Many Lithuanians Go to Wizz, Ryan Air, AirBaltic, DOT/DAT and some Bizz Jet Operators. You have good chances there.

There are so many different fields in aviation as you know of course.

If you wish to go for it, and you dont put yourself and your family in financial problems, then go for it.

Do lots of networking during those years you are training.

Also expect that you might have to pay for your first Type Rating. Somewhere between 15 to 35K.

Once you make hours, other doors open up for better positions.

I know of quite a few guys who finished training halfway their 30s and made it into the cockpit, BUT, aviation os the first business getting hit when any crisis strikes.

The market now is pretty good, but for instance when I finished in 2013, the market was not very great. It took me 4.5 years until I landed my first airline job, which btw was paid horrible in my first season. Only my second summer season was paid kinda normal.

Then moved on to another airline. The Covid hit, BAM, 2 years at home. Doing all kinds of Odd Jobs just to survive.

Now almost 2 years on the line in my present company, doing long haul. Im end 30s.

Make a list of Pros and Cons.
What does the training costs?
USA and then conversion to EASA?
Hour Building cheap by buying a participation in an Aircraft? This way you can do cheaper hr building.
Check it out maybe in Paluknys.
Contact Iron Wolf Pilot. He is known there.

Read through the Topics here on Pprune, maybe Lietuva has a Forum just like Pprune as well. Here you can discuss in your own Language.

Sekmes 😉 If you really want it, there is NO limit.

A friend of mine is also B1 B2 engineer, is now FO in a known LoCo in Europe.

Keep us posted.