PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 50 years of the Lockheed Martin F-16
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2024, 23:35
GlobalNav

Received 151 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by gums
Salute!

I would have loved to fly the XL in combat as an interdiction platform with great legs and payload, plus a competitive A2A capability. By the time the XL was flying and the Mudhen came along, USAF wanted the versatilty of the Viper a lot. And make no mistake, the Eagle mafia was still working to keep the plane in production. Some folks kept harping on the Viper not having a BVR missile, although it was gonna get the Slammer before the Eagle due to the data bus and such, even if the Viper radar did not have the mid-course update capability at that time.

The most depressing aspect of all the development programs from late 80's and 90's , IMHO, was the very long time to get the F-35 on the ramp. The F-22 not as depressing except for the reduced buy, but it got airframes flying and deployed more quickly than the F-35.

Gums sends...
After all the money spent to develop the F-22, I could not understand the urgency to stop production. I would have hoped we would amortize those costs by purchasing hundreds. In the media, it sounded like it was discontinued because of the less expensive the F-35 - oops.
Perhaps there actually was a valid reason, a short-coming or something behind it.