PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 50 years of the Lockheed Martin F-16
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2024, 17:37
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

As a charter member of the first F-16 squadron in the world, I love the plane,,,even the ugly ones that have evolved decades later. Had to report to 16th TFTS before July 1979 to have my retirement plaque with the 'Charter Member" inscription.

The FBW computers were analog, so changing the "gains" for the rate and amount of control surface movement needed new electronic components. Of course, the good news is stuff happened instantly, and not dependent upon time-sharing, multi-tasking and processor speed and so forth. Anyways, the gains were too high for that first flight, and I must praise the pilot. Then, shortly after, another pilot slid to a halt on grass there at Ft Worth when the gear did not some down(need more form this incident, but seems something jammed and better to slide to a halt than other options).

I am forced to say that the plane was the easiest one to fly your first hop, and that includes the WW2 ones I learned in back in the 50's. Any teen that flew a conmputer program could have gone around the pattern easily if they could get the motor started and electronics working. The HUD would be the secret along with a gentle "touch" on the stick.

Gums recollects....

Last edited by gums; 21st Jan 2024 at 18:02.