PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Teesside-2
Thread: Teesside-2
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2024, 13:55
tigertanaka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy1
"The mayor is saying that when the new platform at Darlington is finished, they can run trains every 5 minutes on the line"

Dont fall into the trap believing the fairy stories that the mayor makes up. The branch line from Darlington to Middlesbrough, Saltburn, Hartlepool and beyond is not signalled for a service with a five minute headway. The sections from passed the airport to South Bank and Hartlepool have recently been resignalled for the current frequency of trains with an increase of frequency through Hartlepool and paths for freight trains in between as required and works are in hand to resignal South Bank to Saltburn in the near future with no planned increase in train frequency. The life expectancy of the new signalling is upto 50 years.
Further, trains heading to Bishop Auckland will still have to cross the main line at Darlington unless the service is reduced to a basic shuttle to and from Darlington but the mayor is refusing to clarify.
Please do not patronise me like that - at no point did I say I believed what the mayor said, it was clear that I was merely quoting him and also clear that the extra platform at Darlington would benefit the route to the east of the town.

As you appear to have some expertise in this area, perhaps you could share your knowledge and help us all understand that the frequency per hour could be east of Darlington given the signalling (and any other) constraints.