PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JFK ATC exchange
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2024, 08:34
Abbey Road

Received 24 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sleepy Joe
The guy talking on the radio is not the one taxying off the runway so don’t see how him explaining the situation is impeding him vacating the runway.
There are plenty of things that need getting right in the ground phase of an arrival. The job doesn't stop as soon as the wheels have touched the ground, and at busy airports, where there are a multitude of taxiways, many aircraft on the move, and controllers who unhelpfully speak at the speed of light, two heads (with the attendant eyes and ears!) can easily be needed to ensure errors are not made. The pilot making the radio transmissions isn't otherwise 'doing very little', he is running checklists, and playing goalkeeper for the other pilot who is taxying the aircraft. But then you should know that, apparently.

Originally Posted by Sleepy Joe
I think you guys need to get over it. Just a standard day in Kennedy, I have lost count of the times that ATC has got shirty with me !!!
I am well aware of what a "standard day in Kennedy" is like, hence the need to pay particular attention to the rapid-fire ATC instructions, and the intentions of aircraft in the near vicinity, particularly those with crews for whom English is not their first language.

If you ".... have lost count of the times that ATC has got shirty with me !!!", have you considered it might be you that is the common denominator for those testy exchanges?

Regarding the particular incident for which this thread was started, the air traffic controller takes the entire hit. His comments were uncalled for. whitelighter has summarised it very well:
Originally Posted by whitelighter
The simple thing is: don’t give the landing aircraft choices and then get salty when they pick the wrong one.