PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Direct Entry Pilot
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2024, 08:21
thetimesreader84

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd echo most of what's written below, the only thing I'd say is the 380 will only ever go to a dozen or so destinations. If you're after a slightly greater variety of routes, the whale probably isn't going to be your jam.

Its also got a rep at the moment for being a bit fragile / going tech a lot (and if Plastic787 is on it, maybe they can confirm?). Just something to think about if you get stuck downroute & have plans.

It also has a question mark over its longer term viability, every time the price of brent crude goes up, 380 pilots start getting twitchy, but I think if the worst were to happen theyd CCQ onto the 350.

None of these things are a reason to refuse an offer in my opinion, but probably something to get your head around before joining.

Originally Posted by Plastic787
The 380 is the best kept secret in the company. By far the best fleet IMHO. SIN comes back in March, HKG rumoured end of year, LAX already back on the fleet for the summer. Still not a huge variety in terms of route structure admittedly but you’ll never be going to places like Accra and Lagos all the trips are good overall (although admittedly DFW is dull and there’s not much to like about Dadeland in MIA).

Overall a great bunch of guys and girls and precious little 2 crew stuff left now, DXB & BOS is about it. Best bunks of any fleet by far, en-suite too behind the privacy door so no waiting for a pee in the galley with the First pax as happens too often on some other fleets.

If your currency is time off then - with clever and strategic use of Golden Days or Trump Trips - you can generate better gaps between work than you will see on any other fleet. Of course all bets are off come the next downturn but the company seem committed to fitting the Club Suites and the new First product. If/when that happens the fleet will have another ten years minimum. (With more A350s rumoured to be ordered allied to the ridiculously short CCQ between the two fleets if the merde does hit the fan you’re in a better position than the Jumbo guys ever were during COVID).

Having said all that I imagine there’ll be precious little DEP recruitment to the fleet if any. One frame is rotating in and out of Manila constantly this year so the fleet is probably fully established. 350 is crying out for pilots as is the 777. Anybody receiving a LH offer will almost certainly be getting one of those with a few 787 for the rest.

(Edited to add I’m genuinely not willy waving here just giving a heads up in case anyone does receive a 380 offer and thinks they’ve drawn the short straw, you most certainly haven’t.)