PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA Interview Questions
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2024, 21:49
mikewil

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
No, it isn't - well it wasn't taught to me at school or flight school - but the Union should be able to help with this. And teachers at my Secondary school were addressed as Sir or Ma'am.

Yes, I am agreeing about good manners, but simply concerned about the number of good people like this who were put in the bin because they made a perceived rookie mistake - they are rookies !
I don't agree that it necessarily shows laziness, and 'Sir' or 'Madam' might be awkward, but it is not impolite.

But I would like to think that a CP would understand this, and - given the time and money the hopeful new pilot has already invested - would read beyond the polite, (albeit completely anonymous), introduction, to see what the hopeful actually had to offer, and their life skills etc.

With your mentoring, they might develop to be your best and most loyal pilot !
I agree with Clare Prop on this one. I mean sure, you may have put a potentially good application in the bin, but if you have 100 resumes on your desk, all who meet your minimums, how are you going to cut down the number to select a handful to invite for an interview. I would be far more likely to select someone who had bothered to research my name and something about my company than someone who just did a copy/paste job with the "dear sir/madam" routine. Now I would probably read a bit further than instantly binning at the point I came across Dear Sir/Madam, but they wouldn't be doing themselves any favours and wouldn't be likely to make any kind of shortlist unless they had something particularly stand out on their resume.

I am far more sympathetic to those who have reached airline hiring minimums, with a stack of multi/turbine time who miss out because they aren't good at the "tell me about a time when" HR B.S. Now there would be MANY great candidates for an airline (or other large aircraft) type job who miss out because of this nonsense.

What we are talking about here is pretty easy to do and it is quite unbelievable that you need to do very little these days to 'stand out' as a low hour job seeker. Name of CP/owner at top of cover letter, 20 hours in a C206/C210/C182 and BAM you are in the shortlist for an interview. Who would have thought.
The following users liked this post: