PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA Interview Questions
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2024, 08:39
Uplinker

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Clare Prop
I learned all this at school, the importance of addressing people correctly, how to write a job application letter, even how to fold the paper before it went into the envelope so that it opened nicely.. Is this no longer taught and if not then why not?......
No, it isn't - well it wasn't taught to me at school or flight school - but the Union should be able to help with this. And teachers at my Secondary school were addressed as Sir or Ma'am.
....It's just basic good manners, knowing how to address people. Plus you want to have an edge over all the others, so make an effort. "Dear Sir/Madam" is about is polite as "Dear Whatsyername" and shows a laziness that could reflect the work ethic.
Yes, I am agreeing about good manners, but simply concerned about the number of good people like this who were put in the bin because they made a perceived rookie mistake - they are rookies !
I don't agree that it necessarily shows laziness, and 'Sir' or 'Madam' might be awkward, but it is not impolite.

But I would like to think that a CP would understand this, and - given the time and money the hopeful new pilot has already invested - would read beyond the polite, (albeit completely anonymous), introduction, to see what the hopeful actually had to offer, and their life skills etc.

With your mentoring, they might develop to be your best and most loyal pilot !