PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fun with Students
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2024, 20:51
Ascend Charlie

Received 237 Likes on 110 Posts
A civil flying school was awarded a contract to train military students from a country that sounds like Saudi Arabia. They won the contract, based on a military-based curriculum and piles of manuals "borrowed" from the army aviation. Excellent standards were demonstrated, so I joined the staff. The first course of 6 went pretty well, motivated students and reasonably talented, but when the second course arrived (3 month overlap) it was apparent that the first course had been talking to the next course back home, pointing out that some exceptions were being made to the standards. Course 2 was much harder to teach, and when course 3 arrived, they couldn't give a rat's patootie about study or learning, and it was clear that 2 of them weren't even suitable to be on an airfield.

The head of school and I reached the decision to scrub these 2. Much wailing and threats of "My father is a General and you will be punished" and so on, but they were sent back home. The owner of the school then received a bill for hundreds of thousands of dollars, the amount that had already been spent on these students, and apparently it was a small-print clause, in arabic, that said the money had to be repaid if the student didn't finish the course.

The owner was somewhat (!) annoyed, and from then on no student ever failed the course. The owner ensured that quizzes were dumbed down, standards were NOT to be enforced, and some really unsuitable people were awarded "wings" and sent back home to fame and glory. I tolerated the school for a few years but it irked me too much to see what was going on to let these rockapes through - they paid their money and got their wings. Luckily they never had a solo, and were always accompanied by an instructor, so the rest of aviation was not at risk.