PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bovingdon - 1960s
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2024, 18:11
OUAQUKGF Ops

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chevvron
There is to ths day sufficient flat land to provide for an extension of the runway possibly to the 'standard' 6,000ft.
The 336 bus from Chesham to Hemel Hempstead always turned off the main Chesham - Bovingdon road just past Whelpley Hill and went round the land which could have been used for the extension whereas the Rover bus always continued along the main road past the end of the runway.
Pure speculation on my part but could LT have originally planned for the 336 to be routed clear of the possible extension then when it wasn't used, never reverted to the original route.
I don't know when the Rover bus service was introduced (it ran alternately with the 336) but it was definitely in operation before 1950, my earliest memory of it.
It looks as though an extension to 6000ft could just about be squeezed in. However obstacle clearance would dictate cutting back some trees.

Showing Latimer House (upper right) in relation to runway orientation at Bovingdon.

Link to Airfield Charts:

https://konbriefing.com/mad/approach...-airfield.html

Last edited by OUAQUKGF Ops; 20th Jan 2024 at 11:17. Reason: Image and link added.
The following users liked this post: