PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Toxic Cabin Air/Aerotoxic Syndrome
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2024, 17:57
Manual Pitch Trim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My understanding is that over 150 VOC volatile organic compounds have been found on aircraft CO is just one

plese see this EASA report

https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/downloads/22219/en

Here is the peer reviewed report on the highly recommended Van Netten air sampler

http://www.bleedfree.eu/wp-content/u...craft-2008.pdf

This is the best way to take multiple samples in different aircraft.
Van Nettens lab will analyze the filters for TCP isomers, i.e. the tell tale, and toxic, chemicals that indicate bleed air contamination from jet engine oils. The filters we use do not measure UFPs as such.

This is for a good reason as UFP are generated from all kinds of different sources, anything from laser printers to diesel engines, e-cigarettes and wild fires.
The filters thry use will identify specific toxins in the air that we breathe and trace these toxins to their source within the aircraft. A particular reading of UFP in an aircraft does not tell you their toxicity or their source.

After exposure, you can take out the filter and replace it with a new one, replace the batteries and get the sampler ready for another measurement on another flight.
The exposed filter can be placed in an appropriate container, i.e. a small zip lock baggy and sent to me in a standard letter which , after receipt, can be given to our lab for analysis.

The specific details etc. come with the VN air sampler after purchase.

Regarding prices for a VN air sampler, these are currently for sale at $250 USD each.
An analysis for TCP isomers using GC/Mass spec. for TCP isomers will cost $150 USD/filter.

Chris van Netten, MSc, PhD
Professor Emeritus, Environment Toxicology
School of Population and Public Health
Faculty of Medicine, UBC

Tel. H 604-462-9476