PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAL incident at Haneda Airport
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2024, 17:46
jumpseater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Semreh
As for enabling permanent use of runway stop bar lights, this document goes into (some of) the ramifications:

EUROPEAN ORGANISATION FOR THE SAFETY OF AIR NAVIGATION: September 2008: Runway Safety - Use of Stop Bars 24H

I recommend reading at least the Executive Summary. It might be useful as input for Haneda Airport.
All contemporary UK airports to my knowledge use stopbars 24/7/365 where fitted. The use of stopbars if they are ergonomically facilitated into the ATCO control position and lighting panel, doesn’t add significantly to the controller workload.

In the event of a stopbar failure, the holding point/ entry is withdrawn from service, notamed if required, until fixed.

Systems are designed with fail safe modes, and dual power supply so the stopbar should fail to ON/illuminated red. If there is no way round using the failed holding point, a risk assessment is made for an alternate procedure, such as “Follow Me” vehicles being used for every stop bar crossing. This is extremely rare, I’ve only seen it once in about 20 years.

Last edited by jumpseater; 18th Jan 2024 at 18:51.