PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA Interview Questions
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2024, 11:28
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
I think there's a world of difference in addressing the chief pilot and or boss.
"G'day Compy" versus " Dear Mr Stall".
"To whom it may concern" sounds like a letter from the council about your bins.

A freshly minted CPL holder can do a lot to help themselves.
For starters, your backs aren't knackered yet so should be able to lift stuff. If you don't know how to lift safely, learn. (It's all about bracing the core so you don't strain yourselves). Many of my colleagues in the bizjet world have stuffed their backs because they don't know how to lift safely.
As many have said - get your Dangerous Goods cert, a First Aid cert, maybe bus ticket, if it still exists, Night VFR (easier to keep current than an Instrument rating).
Hospitality experience is useful - either for a job while you wait or if you do scenics etc, just learning how to talk to people.
Learn about the area you're in. Eg, if they haven't historically taken low houred pilots, don't go there. You're wasting your time. (Hint: if it's a nice place to live, they probably don't take new CPLs)
If you can, get some experience doing basic maintenance. You'll be the one doing the 50 hourlies. You'll also be the one assisting the engineers doing 100 hourlies.

Re weight. That's making me giggle. I weighed 60kg back then, a colleague weighed 100kg. He was a big strong lad. He could happily push a C207 around but he found clambering around a C207 removing/installing seats a pain. We played to our strengths. He could push my C207 where I needed it while I installed/removed his seats. Voila. Teamwork.

To the OP and other new CPLers, good luck, you'll need it as well as a sense of humour....
The following 2 users liked this post by redsnail: