PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Port Moresby PNG, is burning - 10th Jan, worst ever civil uprising
Old 17th Jan 2024, 23:08
krismiler

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
PNG is rich in resources, has some of the best fishing grounds in the South Pacific, world class SCUBA diving and many potential tourist destinations such as Rabaul. Whilst a little off the beaten track it could easily give Bali and Fiji some serious competition if the tourism sector was competently managed.

Unfortunately the law and order problems block any development in this area. Whilst raskol gangs run unchecked and there is a very real danger of being robbed, kidnapped, raped or murdered, only the very adventurous will be willing to take the risk.

My memories of Port Moresby include the fact that no one uses barbed wire for security, it’s all razor wire which is much more difficult to penetrate, and seeing a revolver of Dirty Harry proportions in the doctor’s top draw while he was doing my medical.

In the highlands I remember seeing a helicopter with a machete attached to the centre pedestal for self defence, some aircraft carried a shotgun. Our GM used to carry an emergency flare device to fire at bandits if they tried to rob him whilst he was driving. A few months after I left, the house was robbed by a raskol gang who broke in and grabbed the TV and VCR while a Twin Otter crew were inside.

Last edited by krismiler; 17th Jan 2024 at 23:18.
The following users liked this post: