PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fun with Students
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2024, 20:39
Wensleydale

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Pistons Forever
Further to my did in the Supply thread, my summer at the Navy’s Navigation school included teaching an advanced navigation course. I had 4 students and they were all excellent, but definitely not riven with self doubt. They started getting a bit stroppy so I decided it was time to take them down a notch or two.

We had weekly 25 question progress test which were multiple choice with a bubble test sheet. They could then be easily marked with a master cover sheet with holes that lined up with the correct bubbles.

I rewrote the next weeks test so that “B” was the correct answer for every question. It was very entertaining watching the students start to doubt themselves as the number of B’s started to accumulate.

After that the students were a touch more respectful towards their instructor.
I never used multiple guess question papers when instructing. If a problem occurred in the air then the solution never appeared as an option - the student had to know it outright. (It didn't help teaching classified subjects either...the paper would be classified). I once docked a student one mark for just using his nickname at the top of the paper...he only got 99% and whinged for the next few days.