PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any SSD experts here?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2024, 14:09
Squawk7777

Location: formally Alamo battleground, now the crocodile with palm trees!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all your replies.

My SSD learning curve went almost vertical, I am quite pleased that I can use those "future" spare SSDs for a second life.

Originally Posted by Jhieminga
I thought so too... but when I looked at a list of Sandisk SSD models, all the mSATA ones were 500GB, the only ones that were specced as 512GB capacity were regular SATA ones. I guess the list may not have been complete.
It could also depend on the regional market, although I haven't found many differences lately. There used to be a huge difference between the US and EU market.

Originally Posted by awair
These could be combined in a NAS type device, which:
  • would be much more expensive, and
  • a very bad idea...
NAS options permit keeping multiple drives as independent volumes, or combining in various forms of RAID.

The short version:
  • With two drives, you would only have two options, RAID-1 (mirroring) & RAID-0 (striping).
  • With drives of different sizes, you are effectively limited to the smaller of the two sizes
  • With RAID-1, you would get only 500 GB of storage, but you would achieve redundancy in case of a single drive failure.
  • With RAID-0, you would get 1TB of storage (500 GB on each drive), better performance, and in the event of a single drive failure - lose all data.
Good luck.
Good points. At this point I am mulling a JBOD setup with the device that Bushfiva recommended. Both SSDs show at 98% health with Crystal Disk Info. Both disks would be used for temporary data and not solely as data backup.