PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPLS and the benefits of where you get them
Old 26th Jan 2004, 07:23
Send Clowns

Jet Blast Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saitek
FlyBe are going to only Oxford for low hours
Is just not true. They came to SFT not long before it went bust to talk to us, it seems unlikely they have changed rapidly to restrict options as their requirement for pilots increased. I also know a (non-OATS) who has had an interview more recently. Cannot say anything specific on the rest, but I suspect it is a similar falacy.
Employers know the long term pedigree of these schools and can quantify the quality
Then considering pass rates for flying training, how can you justify the rest of your statements? Surely quality has to have some effect on pass rates, but the best first-time modular IRT pass rates I know of are at small schools, considerably higher than OATS. Therefore employers should recruit at those schools.
You get what you pay for
How do you justify that? The most expensive groundschool I know of has class sizes more than twice those of at least two of the cheaper ones I could mention. The cheapest groundschool I know is about 45% of the price of the most expensive, with similar class sizes. One expensive modular IR course I know of gives very bad service to flying students. Other, cheap ones I know of in at least 5 schools are known to give excellent service, and availability of flights.

My apologies for seeming to dig at OATS and other schools offering integrated as well as modular courses, that is not my intention. Even as an employee of a competitor I respect them, even ifI do not like some of their disingenuous sales techniques. I don't like to see their marketing guff repeated as gospel truth.

The positive comments I make are not intended to refer to my employer, but a variety of small schools. This is intended to get people to see a wider perspective, not as marketing guff for us.

P.S. If you want a genuine airline link, save your money, go modular, spend £9000 of the £14000 you save going for the MCC/JOC at CTC McAlpine, which was officially used as a recruitment tool for EasyJet. My info is a little out of date, but if it hasn't changed then Easy skim off the top there, to add to their pile they get from all the sources around.