PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines 737-900 MAX loses a door in-flight out of PDX
Old 17th Jan 2024, 09:08
TryingToLearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
What findings have there been so far that point to design deficiencies related to the door plug ?
To me logic does!
Think back to the MCAS issue:
One mayor concept error during the SW design lead to a latent fault. Wrong input could make the SW feature go mad.
Normal defects (birdstrike...) made the fault show up and caused a situation almost impossible to control. One or two close calls, 2 fatal incidents.
At first, everybody pointed at the pilots, but the number of incidents was just to high to make it plausible.
First everybody (here) pointed at missing pilot training, piece of cake stab runaway...

Now there is one incident and during inspection at least 6 more findings.
Either 2% of staff do not know how to work with a torque wrench or there is a single, hidden cause explaining everything. This cause is either hidden in the manufacturing process or in design. Are those workers sloppy enough to oversee what's on the photos in this thread? So many of them? Not enough training? To me this is hard to believe.
Or is there something overstressing the parts after manufacturing, some latent fault that needs additional 'luck' (or tolerance or...) to show up?
Until the end of the analysis, it is just a question of probability. 6-10 findings and one close call turn the probability in the direction of one single cause.
To be honest, I hope they find a complex design flaw and fix it instead of admitting that manufacturing quality is that bad.