PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preflight Checks, Have Your Say!!
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2004, 06:57
Orville

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems obvious from the response,or rather lack thereof, that this thread has received, ( my apologises to Vortsa and Compressor Stall) that the airlines are going to be able to continue to do what ever they wish. As long as everyone gets their paycheck at the end of the day "alls well", or is it?

CASA were blind to the cost cutting exercises carried out by an airline in recent years, which was driven by the bean counters. These bean counters don't rely on working for an airline to keep bread on the table, they have the ability to move into a different industry to perfect their skills, which may mean destroying the lives of a completely different employment base, but that's another story. My concern is for those who were left behind in the aftermath of their last #### up. Of greater concern is the possibility of a serious incident that may cost lives. And I hope I'm not around to witness it, but if I am I will be the conscience of every soul left behind.

Ask the employees of that past airline, who pays their wages now? I am convinced that there were whistle blowers, and those that could see the writing on the wall along time before the doors were shut, but unfortunately they were too few, and as this thread testifies, there are too few again.

The safety in our skies is obviously of concern to those who fly and specially those who fly professionally. Reading the comments to Dick Smith, there are those who are passionate about safety in the skies, then why can't you see the consequences in changing a system which has proven to be SAFE for one that has obvious flaws.

What we are seeing in the Industry now is Risk Management, that is too say the value of these cost cutting exercises verses the cost of litigation if something serious happens, and the bean counters have calculated that to payout on an aviation disaster is cheaper than the money saved over 10 to 15 years worth of cost cutting. What value do you put on the lives of your family or collegues? The share holders might be fortunate to see at least an extra 1 or 2 cents value per share but do they realise how far their shares will plummet following an incident.

Qantas were being offered Ansett at $1.00 in its last days, and they declined.

Last edited by Orville; 28th Jan 2004 at 18:40.