PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines 737-900 MAX loses a door in-flight out of PDX
Old 16th Jan 2024, 16:57
lateott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zueriflyer
Yes, the assy procedure would shed some light on how the system is intended to work.

All my hope is on Chris Brady and his videos here. Come on Chris, please give us the next slice of info to solve the assy riddle.

I have some doubt that the 12 stop pins are torqued against the lip seal. Simply because the system apperas to be totally overconstraint. When the door is closed it can only move inboard (preloading the seal) within the radial backlash of the 2 roller pins in their mating cam tracks at the top, and at the bottom only within the backlash of the hinge guide tubes in the hinge guide fittings`s bushes.

One would never be sure if the stop pin torque has been achieved owing to the correct seal preload being achieved or because you have run into some "hard stop" when running out of backlash.

Most probably the soft lipseal is quite tolerant in preload and will not require this precise fine tuning.

But I am wondering how the contact of the stop pin contact point with their corresponding contact pads actually is adjusted. 12 points, totally overconstraint. But on most of the pictures one can see very simmilar contact marks of the 12 contact points their mating pads, suggesting a quite even load distribution. So there must be some procedure to compensate for the multi components torecance stack up.
Yes, good points.

I have speculated previously that there is no contact when depressurized, that there is actually a gap specification which is measured in the absence of pressure differential. That gap would close and make contact when the cabin is pressurized.

Contact and friction would not serve the needs of an emergency exit, and in fact could prevent the door from opening when needed most! I highly doubt there is a different specification when the plug option is used in place of an actual exit door, think of the added certification and testing costs.