PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAL incident at Haneda Airport
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2024, 16:41
JapanHanuma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few comments that I want to add:
  • The ultimate cause of this disaster is the pilot failing to follow ATC instructions (whether due to his own negligence or some other party's issue), but the other factors being mentioned are safety features that could mitigate the impact of the mistake (safety bags in a car does not make a driver speeding through a red light any less wrong). But ultimately it is cumbersome and overwhelming to have too many safety features over would could just be a problem with pilot negligence (and even features such as stopbars would not prevent a negligent pilot who genuinely thought he had special clearance).
  • The Japanese are the most disaster prepared country in the world, but also face some of the worst natural disasters in the world. An issue such as Fukushima could only happen in a disaster the scale of the Great East Japan Earthquake And Tsunami. Similarly this crash was in the aftermath of an earthquake in Noto Prefecture (though I think the link is weak).
  • Furthermore the Japanese have a strong history of aviation and ultimately fought a very strong fight in WW2. I think most of the issues raised here tend to be tinkering on the edge of what is largely a non-problem that are just exaggerated by a combination of the severity of natural disasters in Japan and the social media conflict between certain communities (Chinese etc...) or politics.
Though I don't want to drag this thread off topic...