PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham Airshow Crash Trial
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2024, 23:44
stickstirrer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
BR ‘Gates’

I am not sure if I am duplicating previous comments: teaching and supervising low level displays by military jet pilots I wasn’t keen on Barrel Rolls primarily because there are so many variables in pitch and roll rates that there were never any clear gate heights and speeds that could be used to judge whether the manoeuvre was going as planned. Entry speed, Minimum height and Max speed over the top of a loop are easily remembered and observed. If required gates are not achieved the manoeuvre can be abandoned safely. Barrel Rolls have no such easily recognised heights and speeds thereby making it very difficult to recognise quickly and easily when things are going wrong. I have one further controversial observation shared with another very experienced and very senior retired officer;, I have flown displays and supervised numerous jet pilots both in the medium level teaching environment and display arena. At the top of the ‘crooked loop’ which I think he believed he was flying rather than a BR; AH made the precise gate height and speed in the Hunter that he would expect to see in a loop in his JP display - a display he was far more familiar with……….
.I believe he had reverted to the type he was most familiar with in a stressful moment. (Trying to position the aircraft using a slightly non standard manoeuvre ( for him) was stressful. )
I also agree with the many comments re insufficient currency on the Hunter and that there are inherent dangers in trying to achieve or maintain currency on two vastly different types.
The RAF requirements were 5 runs at 5000’ 5 at 1500, 5 at 1000 and then cleared ( by Station Commander observing) to practice at 500’. All within a set (recent) period details of which I have forgotten. Being an ex test pilot does not make you immune to lack of currency; skill fade; or temporary lapses in awareness.
The following 3 users liked this post by stickstirrer: