PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines 737-900 MAX loses a door in-flight out of PDX
Old 15th Jan 2024, 21:20
Europa01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MechEngr
The fasteners would have been subject to shear loads rather than tension loads. This would have put the screws against the sides of the holes in the door. If they are replaceable element nut plates, the float of the nut plates would isolate the nutplate rivets from load. They may even have just turned with the rivet as the pivot to allow that contact.
I think something like this has to explain the initial movement of the door and the damage to the rear hinge guide & door frame. I’d been wondering if the door could have pivoted around the last remaining fastener of a hinge guide with no locking bolt. BUT with the stop pins engaged on the stop pads and rhe internal pressure force I can’t see what would lift the door to disengage them (assumes no guide track fitting stop bolts). Also, the photos seem to show the stop pads as slightly concave and the stop pins as convex which would imply more force to disengage them.
Corrections / comments?