PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any SSD experts here?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2024, 16:09
Squawk7777

Location: formally Alamo battleground, now the crocodile with palm trees!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any SSD experts here?

My old laptop is slowly dying. It has served me well (almost 10 years), I used it extensively from gaming to slide scanning to Hi8 video restoration. I had to replace a keyboard, battery, power adapter and two of it's three hard drives, one 2.5inch and one SSD (!).

I'd like to use as much as possible from this laptop including both SSD drives. They are mSATA3 format and I'm playing with the idea in putting both in one external enclosure. Easier said than done, since most items on Amazon or ebay offer space for just one drive. I stumbled across
this this
on Amazon, but the specs are doing more harm than good. A little excerpt:

"Sata SSD currently, on the market by volume, to distinguish between the main 2 size, namely 3030 and 5030 SSD fixation using 2 kinds. 11012 pillars mobile (factory default settings for the 5030 shipment), perfectly compatible 3030 or 5030 SSD hard disk, arbitrary. Ssd operating mode settings: 11012 support RAID0, RAID1, and pm three operating; modes."

Umm... what?

The two SSDs I would like to use in this enclosure are:
* SanDisk SDMSATA512G 512.1 GB
* Samsung SSD 860 EVO mSATA 1TB 1000.2 GB

The question here is if I can use both which are different in size in this enclosure. The next logical question or idea would be whether I can combine both physical drives into one volume.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Squawk7777; 15th Jan 2024 at 16:34.