PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilot beaten/robbed in ZA
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2024, 08:52
Gordomac

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
in ZABA pilot beaten/robbed

Rotten shame really. Those of us within a certain age group and languishing on airport Sby in the Queens building at thiefrow will remember that when SA advertised in the back of Flight Mag for pilots, a queue formed from Staines to Joburg.

Of course, blissfully naive , I have many instances where someone, somewhere, has stepped in and saved my rear-end.

Several Joburg nightstops under the belt, I rented a van & planned a crew trip to Sun City. Renter told me that if anyone tried to hijack the vehicle, just give them the keys.

On a further solo mission, I was being followed, too closely by a bunch of yobs. While I had the racing line, they took me on the inside . Of course I pursued,overtook, jammed on the brakes and gave a solo fingured victory salute. They followed, very closely for a couple of miles but because of my exceptional Top Gun ,combat evasion skills, they became increasingly thwarted but annoyed. I roared into the Hotel just in time as I sensed radar lock. Receptionist warned against duelling in SA.

Still blissfully happy in one of my fave destinations. After usual shopping adventure in the Mall, decided to walk back to the Hotel waving cheerily to the Crew happy to board the pre-booked Hotel bus.

I was quickly intercepted by a local. He was going the same way. We cheerily chatted. Parted company outside the Hotel after twenty minute stroll . He rendered a quick de-brief into how dangerous what I had just done was. I thought; What a bloody nische bloke.

Re-telling the tale to the gorgeous Receptionist, she looked like she was about to faint and suggested that I was lucky to still be alive.. Seriously.

I stopped looking at S Africa as a potential retirement site.