PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downward turning effect during crosswind takeoff roll
Old 14th Jan 2024, 06:57
zzuf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by john_tullamarine
Or, like the nose up pitching moment which can be generated by a higher powered propeller machine at high incidence (which, in turn, may create some missed approach long stab problems requiring a variable downspring SAS to fix), it can be viewed a bit like an aerofoil, in that the incoming mass airflow is turned somewhat as it rounds the nacelle lip - this generates a change in momentum and a force in the downwind direction. Such effects strongly correlate with the level of forces generated in the particular aircraft under the microscope. I would expect to see much the same sort of effect with a higher powered piston machine - the airflow goings-on are going to be much the same ....

Can't say that I have ever noticed the effect but that may just be a reflection on my inadequate handling sensitivity competence ?

never personally noticed one any aircraft type.

Knowing zzuf well in a past life and holding his handling competence in the highest regard, I am surprised to hear that a chap of his background hasn't observed the effect ... makes me feel a little less inadequate ....
Sorry to disappoint JT - it wasn't for the lack of trying. As you know, I must have done a few hundred high crosswind, narrow runway takeoff tests, in more than a dozen aircraft types. Probably thinking too much about the upcoming engine failure, and knowing with such crosswinds Vmcg was a figment of ones imagination!