PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh-4
Thread: Edinburgh-4
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2024, 19:34
Planeraz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edi_local
This is my main concern. EDI is already a very busy airport for its size and clearly needs expanding both ramp and terminal-wise...yet the people in charge seem happy to sell vast swathes of land and cram it in even more.

I do wish the Highland showground had relocated to this area instead of houses, it would have been ideal, with new roads being built to serve both facilities, as well as a dedicated tram stop for the RHSG, freeing up a huge area for the airport to make use of in the future and creating a modern venue for the Highland Show. Sadly it has not worked out this way and with even more houses now also being built on the other side of Glasgow Road, there is simply nowhere left in the area.
With what appears to be a done deal, subject to all the normal pre contract stuff, GIP, according to various reports will retain day to day control and management of the airport. Blackrock (the owner) will be responsible for any significant expenditure decisions and expansion. Regarding the possible limitations and remaining ground for any terminal expansion, presumably, BR could attempt to negotiate a deal to purchase RHS land. This would open up a large amount of estate to build on. The other option, which I’ve heard a few people from within EDI mention when using the airport each week is adding air bridges to the existing pier. This could create at least four more wide body capable stands. Adding air bridges should be simple. The likelihood is another floor or level to the terminal would be required to channel pax from arriving int flights. The creation of previously reported gate rooms would also be easy to create on the pier.