PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Port Moresby PNG, is burning - 10th Jan, worst ever civil uprising
Old 12th Jan 2024, 20:01
CIC

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
The only reason the country does NOT descend into civil war is "tribalism"

A quick review of the political situation would suggest the incumbent prime minister suspended parliament a few months ago when a vote of no confidence was tabled. When this suspension expires shortly parliament will sit again, matters will be tabled re a vote of no confidence in the prime minister. He will then suspend parliament again ??

Rogue units of police and other public servants are rattling sabres; done a lot of damage to the country, infrastructure, investment programmes; the list goes on ...

You can have all the aggrieved parties sit down and talk but with over 800 different tribes there will never be unity in PNG.

Much has been said by the Aussie PM and PNG PM about co-operation in Policing. Australian police will go to PNG to assist with training, and working alongside each other to further foster a spirit of co-operation etc. I'm not so sure that foreign police officers, except possibly the Chinese, would live in PNG police accomodation which at best would be described as fairly rough. I cannot see Aussie police eating the same food, and trying to exist when the gap between PNG police pay and Aussie police pay are worlds apart. Yet the Aussie police will wear RPNGP uniforms and take instructions from the PNG Chief Commissioner. I don't see that working ??