PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Max: Loose Rudder-Control Fastener Issue.
Old 12th Jan 2024, 14:28
Lonewolf_50

Received 424 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by bri21
As a long retired 80-something engineer in both the aviation and nuclear industries, as both a producer and an inspector, I suspect that there has been too much attention paid to posh-sounding jargon and too little attention to the nitty-gritty detail of turning out good-quality work. Too much focus on money always produces these issues.
Indeed, sir. Jargon and technical language can create their own difficulties. But among professionals, coining particular terms can allow for a common understanding. To give particular things usable definitions, and to differentiate one thing from another similar thing, is useful.
(See the back and forth about door plug and plug door as but one example).

As I suggested above, it is useful in this case, I think, to differentiate between a design error (MCAS), a training system error (MCAS) and a process error (these bolts). Why? Because getting the right solution/correction is aided by identifying the problem and the cause.

(And of course, some the jargon is tribal short hand which doesn't help much ... )