PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Strategic Defence Review 2020 - get your bids in now ladies & gents
Old 12th Jan 2024, 12:36
SLXOwft

Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts
I'll be interested to see if Labour plans to address the hollowing out and funding shortfalls across all three services, but I suspect the defence parsnips will not be buttered in the next parliament.

Royal Navy ‘underfunded’, says shadow defence secretary as UK strikes Houthi group

The Royal Navy is “hollowed out and underfunded,” the shadow defence secretary has suggested.

Speaking on Friday morning (12 January), after the UK and US launched targeted strikes against military facilities used by Houthi rebels in Yemen, John Healey shared his worries over the resources available to the armed forces.

“The former defence secretary told me in the House of Commons, he admitted that over the last 13 years, the government has hollowed out and underfunded the forces,” he said.

“It is important that we are able [to] - as we have in recent weeks in the Red Sea and wider region - act alongside allies.”

(Article credited to Oliver Browning on The Independent website)