PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines 737-900 MAX loses a door in-flight out of PDX
Old 11th Jan 2024, 18:25
BigJETS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
Can't argue with that.

And, given that that's not the way of removing the door that's provided for, it wouldn't be altogether surprising if it was accompanied by official denials that it was being done at all.

That said, if the lower lock bolts remained in situ, would inadequately-secured hinge bolts allow enough play for the stops to disengage? If not, we're back to square 1 in terms of an explanation for what happened.
In terms of what happened, I cant say. The lower lock bolts seem to be omitted in this case. So my comment is really just about how a tech might look at the task.
To your question, IMO, the stowed hinge/guide assy offers some significant fore/aft positioning stability to the lower half of the door, but I think its only ever secondary to the 12 mated lugs pushing the entire plug into the seal and recess around the perimeter. The 12 lugs need to be adjusted to some kind of spec. or clearance. Would be helpful to see the MM. The vertical motion is arrested by the top lockbolts, even if the lower ones are missing. Any fore /aft shifting with lower guides detached still seems too little to get past the stop lugs, but obviously the hinge assy would be handy at that point in time.
One could theorize that if the 12 lugs were loose, and the hinges disconnected at lower, cabin pressure could maybe push the plug out away from its perimeter recess, and over time dislodge the stop lugs starting from the bottom, if theres enough clearance of the inside structure to allow it.