PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2004, 23:31
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotters...

Hi Scion et al,

Isn't it such a shame that we know of a number of salvageable wooden airframes that survived the 60's 'glue scare' cull only to fall into the hands of selfish people.

The word 'selfish' is carefully chosen. OK, the White Waltham Miles Monarch is stored in reasonable conditions and could presumably be salvaged at some stage in the future. However, the Bob Mitchell collection of rotters (Monarch, Witney Straight and now - it transpires, a rare Swedish machine - is so saddening, there ought to be law against it!

The funny thing is, I met him at Turweston a few years back when operating Messenger G-AKBO from there. He intoduced himself, waxed lyrical about the marque, stated his intenton of getting them flying again and gave me his EMail address etc.

I then gave up trying to contact him to get a peek inside the Cosford shed where he stores them.

I learn from others who have seen the aircraft - or what remains of them - that the conditions in which they are stored is (my words) 'heart breaking'.

Fortunately, there are those amongst us (in addition to me!) whose hearts rule their heads, their partners heads and their wallets.

Fourteen or so airworthy Miles Aircraft worldwide - hopefully to increase by at least the Richard Earl Miles Hawk (Homer drool!) - and at least the story isn't so bad.

It could be more, but for the selfish few. Ho hum.

How is the Scion coming along Scion? The photos you sent m were very impressive. If you ever, ever had a brain (or wallet!) failure and felt that I ought to own it give me a price and a few weeks to hock everything.

I can just imagine your wonderful machine in the Old Warden circuit!

Come and vist. Come and fly the Magister (You had two of them in the war!)

Respect (!) and best wishes from 'Up Over'.

HP