PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JFK ATC exchange
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2024, 16:48
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was told my first time to JFK that I was going to be yelled at for something at some point, so don't make excuses, just roll with it. It doesn't matter if it's good R/T or not. It's the way it is. But guess what, most people going into JFK are very, very full of cargo and people, so that's why the controller is saying he doesn't care: because so is everyone else. I don't blame the controller for the first comment. Just shut up and get off the runway! The second comment to Silk West didn't need to be made. But I believe it's a requirement from New York through to New England that if you make a mistake you have to be reminded twice: once to you, and once to everyone else. At least, that's been my experience.

But, the pilots don't get off easy here either. Doing the math for this case, they covered the 1,040' between V and U3 in somewhere between 30 to 45 seconds (depending on how good the animation is). That's 17 to 23 knots. That's simply unacceptable to slow down to normal taxi speed when taxiing down the active runway unless the runway is slippery (which it wasn't on the 24th, the weather shows no precip and well above freezing conditions). V is not a 90* exit and it can be taken slightly faster (I've found no issues getting off at around 20 knots (not faster though). So if they were too fast at V to exit, it means they continued to slow down after they missed the exit or maintained their speed. That's what the controller is angry about - not that they missed the exit, but they continued slowing after missing their exit. I've found controllers in the US, unless they tell you which exit to use, don't often care where you get off - just make sure you're doing your best to then get off. Or, tell them in advance. Hey, I can't make V, we'll need to exit at the end. It's a team effort, so give the controllers the information they need to plan.

Last edited by +TSRA; 11th Jan 2024 at 16:54. Reason: edit for clarity getting off on V