PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transport Canada CPL - 65 training hours in Canada vs overseas - HELP!!
Old 11th Jan 2024, 16:15
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I'm honest, I think it is pretty poor that the requirements are not clearly stated in 421.30.....I wonder if there is a one line caveat somewhere else in this small set of documents called the CARs that might change the interpretation completely!
​​​​​​​I'm just saying, the single entry in a different section of the CARs that changes the meaning of the bulk of the licensing requirement section is not great.
I'm not trying to be rude here so forgive my bluntness, but they are stated very clearly in 421.30, because to properly interpret 421.30, you have to know how Transport Canada defines things, which means knowing what is included in 400.01. That's the problem when pilots like you and me try and interpret the rules and regulations. They've been written by lawyers for lawyers, not for pilots (even though we are required to follow them). So when reading the regs, we can't read them as a pilot, but as a lawyer. Heck, even I made the mistake of forgetting to check 400.01 when I first responded. Had I done so, I would have been able to let you know in my original post as it provides the only answer to your original question (and I've made a lot of money in my aviation career looking for that one word or sentence in another part of the regs that changes the interpretation of things so I'm beating myself up pretty good for a simple mistake like that).

Indeed, that is why Division I of any CARs part is titled "Interpretation." As in - this is how you are to interpret the following sections.

Now, if you decide to stay in Canada and clean up those hours, make sure to keep your correspondence with TC. The last thing you need is to find you're dealing with a new inspector who differs in their interpretation of you being able to avoid another flight test!