PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An Aussie's adventure converting to the EASA
Old 11th Jan 2024, 14:20
AndyAus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CPL SKILL TEST (5 C172 / 5 PA28 hrs)
Only difference is learning a new aircraft (for me) and getting used to the airspace and it’s interesting rules haha. Commercial experience made this a breeze. Except this PA28 glided like a brick.
There’s a navigation element, handling, emergency etc pretty standard.

SE IFR (10 Sim/15 C172 hrs)
This basically doesn’t exist in Australia, only reason to conduct it is to lower the ME IR total hours required which is a cost saver. And because the Cirrus SR exist
Still IR is learning about what’s keeping you safe when you can’t see, MSA MVA minimums etc,
How to conduct a holds on variously instruments, how to conduct approaches 2D, 3D, RNP mainly.
It’s good to practice for the approaches so all the kinks are out when you transition to the twin.
Having an approach with a 4nm offset NDB and conducting station passage with a flimsy ADF in cloud is good fun!

ME SKILL TEST (5 PA34 hrs)
PA34 is an expensive toy to train in, at about 500€ an hour you want to be as efficient as possible.
Weighing at 2t MTOW it is a very nice stable platform especially after a 152 for URPT
Learning to fly it Assy (Asymmetrical) and practicing general handling is what’s this course is about.

ME IFR (6 PA34 hrs)
It’s practically an IPC that I did in Aus. Just more compressed
it’s just the SE IR but do some of it assy. Hardest part for me was ATC blocking training flights due to strikes.

​​​​​​​
URPT
This was a 3 hours theory with 3 hours in an acrobatic C152.
Learning the 6 step stall recovery for MRJT in a tiny plane.
Deep stalls, spin recovery and other fun stuffs
Also is informative for the next stage of my flying MCC or when I’ll do my type rating

MCC
Done back at Aviation Airways ESMA (same guys I did my theory with in France), course was 25hrs theory and 20hrs Sim over 2 weeks in a SIM which was built similar to an A320 in design. Our instructor had 20’000 hours, so a wealth of experience and definitely forced the procedures into our brain.
The biggest difference I noticed is whilst GA is very malleable, airlines are not. Follow procedure and everything goes well. Abnormal ops are good fun.
Hardest thing for me was staying in my lane, whilst my less experienced partner had to step up and gain confidence. We both sorted it out pretty quickly.
I’d had to say this was definitely my favourite program/course/formation of the whole process!

TOEIC Exam
This is more specifically for Airfrance / KLM group but it’s an English Listening and Reading comprehension exam.
It’s 200 questions long and excellent if you want to have a nap or cant fall asleep, its perfect! (Airline requirements are Minimum of 850 for pilots, 750 for cabin crew
I can’t really explain how to prepare this for non English speakers, the test is more business orientated (nothing to do with Aviation) and you can find pretty accurate mock tests online, estudyme (<- website) I did 6 of them in the week leading up to the test day.
Yes I got 199/200 total, as a native speaker its just another paywall for my situation.

Administration in Europe
This is a topic I feel like I have to include and so just putting it here. Coming from Aus where it’s surprisingly pretty simple (probably in part due to our lower population), Europeans don’t make life easy for themselves. ANYTHING administrative based must be done as soon as possible, why? Lengthy wait times, additional forms, Communications this can take weeks, I had to wait over 6weeks from my ME-IR flight test to my licence Issue. And it was only because I contacted the CAA that they told me things were missing. This is consistent across all levels: school, administrative and government level. So you have been advised! Start the process as soon as you can even if you don't need it. There's no use waiting till the last second because it wont hurry for anyone!

THE RAP UP
Well this was journey, I started writing this up on May 23rd exactly 200 days ago. Strangely I had some satisfying amount of days (99 days from 1st to 13th ATPL exam) (Practical component took me exactly 2 months, 8/10/2023 - 8/12/2023) (Also sitting at a neat 750hrs TT with 500PIC)
To me this is satisfying aha I like numbers zzz
I’d say this was probably one of the most challenging stages of my life I’ve had to go through. It does feel rewarding now looking back at it but there were definitely hurdles, I knew it was going to be a challenge and I’d say I wasn’t disappointed.
I kept this journal as an anecdote for other Pilots trying to break into the EASA. Even if this helps only one person in their pilot in journey, to me it will have been well worth it.

I’m now signing this off, wish you all well and now I’m off to find me a Job wish me luck!!!
Good luck to all and keep flying in these bright blue skies!

Andy