PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JFK ATC exchange
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2024, 07:33
pattern_is_full

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by framer
My opinion;
The situation started moving away from normal/ professional when the controller said “ I don’t care about all that”. It changed the tone of the frequency for zero gain.
"The situation started moving away from professional," and changed the tone, when the Longboat pilot chose not to simply get off the runway when able, and starting trying to explain something on a busy frequency.

Now, that probably did not actually delay vacating the runway - but it did tie up the channel "for zero gain." Especially since the controller was going to need the d*mn channel to give Silk Air the impending go-around. His later apology to Silk Air was likely because the go-around instruction came very late, thanks to Longboat's chattiness.

Same for the DHL pilot at SFO last month - don't be getting into explanations (whether it's "company night-visual policy" or "why I'm vacating slowly") on an active approach/runway frequency. Just get the job done as best you can. And if you must, talk about it later.

Is that actually how "professional" comms work in the UK/EU? Because over here, I will always back up controllers who say, in effect, "STFU and just do that piloting stuff!"