PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From low cost airline to executive aviation
Old 11th Jan 2024, 06:51
Klimax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stilton
I don’t remember too many ‘bureaucratic types’ at the airline I flew for and there were plenty of unknown challenges and variety on every single trip flying on a route system that spanned the globe

I’ve heard this mindset promoted before from pilots in the business jet community who try to rationalize the job benefits of flying into a greater variety of sub par airports, loading their passengers bags, emptying the aircraft toilets, hanging around at the airport all day waiting for the boss who expects no limit to their duty day and always being on call to name just a few

There’s simply no comparison to the airlines who offer greater benefits, much higher pay, bigger, more comfortable equipment with proper crew rest facilities, significantly greater choices in predictable monthly schedules with days off that are guaranteed and better vacation and retirement plans
I think the poster might have slightly confused bureaucratic types with ridged types. I´ve spend half of my almost 30 year commercial pilot career with 3 airlines, of which were 2 "legacy". The other half have more or less been in Biz aviation, albeit the "large cabin" segment of the industry.

Each to his own - for sure. But, I can truly say that I find it much more enjoyable to participate and be part of a "proper" biz jet operation, with all the support functions in place, than it is to be flying an airliner around - which is simply too boring for some of us. There is a much larger span from good to bad operations in biz aviation for sure. In the "large segment" private operations we of have very predictable rotations (eg. 16 on / 14 off (as guaranteed as the airlines - almost!)., where you end up spending a couple of weeks in locations where the wealthy (monetarily speaking!) clients (owners) relax it out. Sit it out, eat, drink, explore, sunbath. Most decent clients have a schedule, so yeah you´re on standby, but you also know the habits.
I´ve never cleaned a toilets on an airplane and I´ve spend more days doing airport standby in the airline, than I ever have in Biz Av. I do load the baggage of both the crew and pax.
The "equipment" that I fly (not that I care to much anymore) is so much more technologically advanced and fun - than any of the airliners I´ve ever flown.

The only airline operations that offer better overall CoS are the legacy ones. The likes of Easyjet, Wizz etc. don´t get where we are in large segment of biz av. You´re right we don´t generally have most of "other" benefits, such as insurances, retirement plans etc., this is compensated directly via the salary, which gives you the influence of how you prefer to invest.
When it comes to uncertainties - I don´t really know. Seniority lists (when followed!) only protects you that much. When you´re qualified in the biz av, it´s not that hard to find another position (even if just tempo).