PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From low cost airline to executive aviation
Old 11th Jan 2024, 04:10
stilton

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Moonwalker
It depends what you compare it to. Joining outfits like Netjets, Flexjet or Vistajet is more like working for an airline but flying a business jet. All you have to think about is flying the plane (but to a greater variety of airports and everything that comes with doing so). It's just a different lifestyle and usually offers you a better flexibility in terms of where to live. Airlines are usually only good long term if you live or want to live where you have your base. Airlines rarely offers rosters liks 6/5, 7/6, 10/8, 17/13, 14/14 etc. That said, for most trained pilots. Business jet flying is not ideal to their type of personality. When I flew in the airlines I had a feeling that the majority of people were more of the bureaucratic type. They don't like the unknown. They want something predictable which they can plan days in advance. While my impression of my colleagues in the business jet sector is that they embrace the unknown and like the variety and challenges that comes with it. So in the end it comes down to how you are as a person.

I don’t remember too many ‘bureaucratic types’ at the airline I flew for and there were plenty of unknown challenges and variety on every single trip flying on a route system that spanned the globe

I’ve heard this mindset promoted before from pilots in the business jet community who try to rationalize the job benefits of flying into a greater variety of sub par airports, loading their passengers bags, emptying the aircraft toilets, hanging around at the airport all day waiting for the boss who expects no limit to their duty day and always being on call to name just a few

There’s simply no comparison to the airlines who offer greater benefits, much higher pay, bigger, more comfortable equipment with proper crew rest facilities, significantly greater choices in predictable monthly schedules with days off that are guaranteed and better vacation and retirement plans