PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Pilots Reluctant To Use Mayday in Emergencies
Old 10th Jan 2024, 12:51
meleagertoo

Received 139 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by 421dog
The pilot communicating did an impeccable job.
An explosive decompression isn’t necessarily an emergency depending on the circumstances.
A few months ago, I was in the high teens over the central US (just me, coming home from work)
Didn’t need to discommode anyone, nor should I have…
Three points.
1) You clearly have a unique understanding of the word "impeccable" as well as a unique understanding of the nature of a correct emergency transmission. ICAO will explain...And listen to the audio in Post #12 for an illustration.

2) You on your own is hardly comparable to an airliner full of passengers, is it? You are also not bound by the Flght Manual procedures, company SOPs and Professional responsibility to your pax and crew.

3) Didn't need to discommode anyone? Self-preservation is "discommoding" people? You've had an explosive decompression for unknown reasons and see no need to declare an emergency? How did you know the fuselage hadn't split or fractured or there was some other hazardous damage? Or that a bulkhead had collapsed and could compromise control runs or was shorting cables? I'd have thought mere airmanship (sorry, didn't mean to swear) and prudence would require an emergency to ensure shortest priority routing to the ground lest it gets worse?