PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAL incident at Haneda Airport
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2024, 10:07
jumpseater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Forgive me (non-pilot) if I'm missing something, but doesn't that design have to be read with the last line: "5) During the period Stop Bar Lights operated, TWY C3 THRU C12 are not available for departure aircraft." If the C3-C12 stop bars are only ever used at times when nobody's allowed to enter the runway there, why would this be a problem? There would be no need to deselect the C8 stop bar, let alone deselect it while aircraft are waiting to enter the runway via any of the other C3-C12 holding points - nobody will be doing so.
It does.

I find it very surprising that this major airport with its traffic volume doesn’t have a “ring of red”, a stopbar or traffic light for every runway entry point with an individual control. It makes sense to isolate complete sections to allow no use too but to have multiple entry points at night in good visibility (accident weather), with no positive control, for me is a very odd option. The reason for using an intermediate entry point could allow airfield operations or engineering vehicles access to the runway for priority inspection/repair, not aircraft.