PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Flap Asymmetry questions
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2024, 09:39
flightleader

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oicur12.again
Interesting. I'm wondering what sort of failure would result in a return to normal operation after waiting several minutes particularly having established that the FSEU removes hydraulic power when asymmetry or skew is sensed.

For info, my airline operates NG and Max when not grounded and I have never flown older versions.

Further reading on this issue highlights more questions about how to handle this situation.

Our up coming sim profile calls for a diversion to our takeoff alternate following the flap asymmetry after takeoff.

The only QRH reference is to set the flap handle to the nearest detent that is equal to or less than the smallest indicated flap position. In our case that would be flap lever to 2 as the takeoff would have been flaps 10.

Does this imply the lever must remain at position 2 or is it permissable to place the lever at 0 for the diversion in order to retract all LE devices.
Cheers.
I should have mentioned that I only flew the B737 classic for 10 years but I had 8 split flaps. It seems that when selecting a lesser flap after the split would not retract the flap immediately. But it would move to the selected lesser flap setting without any split after 2-3 minutes. Maybe it won't work on NG.

According to the maintenance guys, improper greasing of the flap mechanism can cause flap splits.