PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Flap Asymmetry questions
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2024, 08:21
framer

Received 494 Likes on 132 Posts
My thoughts on how your sim scenario could possibly go;
- Take off at flap 10, on retraction to flap 5 one TE flap stops between 10 and 5, the other goes to 5.
- Climb above MSA and run QRH
Step 1 will have you leave the flap lever in the flap 5 detent
Step 2 will have you choosing to set Vref 40+30 . ( remember when setting up for landing that this number over-writes the existing ref 40 and the wind additive is then added in the normal fashion). You are then directed to step 4
Step 4 just gets you to calculate landing distance. (My books tell me the best I can do at MLW is 1480m, and AB 2 would stop me in 2800m.)
That’s the checklist apart from deferred items. The only deferred item of note is selecting the Flap Inhibit switch to Flap inhibit.
So there you are, now it’s just normal decision making around where to go etc. Part of that decision will be fuel burn. If the current burn rate sets you landing at your departure alternate with a low fuel state then tough decisions might be needed but I doubt that’s likely. From memory you’ll use approximately 15% extra fuel but don’t quote me on that, If it happened to me tomorrow I’d make the call based on the burn I was looking at. Also, runway length could make for a tough decision if your departure alternate is fairly short.
When discussing the decision with your partner state what the options are before choosing one so that the examiner can see that you’ve weighed it all up.
Use your companies procedures for communicating with the cabin ( NITS brief etc)

Can anyone see any holes in that? Obviously the flaps could hang up between 5 and 1, or 1 and UP , but it would be a similar process.