PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAL incident at Haneda Airport
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2024, 07:36
Iron Duck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Watcher
That is one major contributing factor. The main cause. the initial error if you like, is the Dash entering the runway without clearance., and why the entire crew seemed to believed they were clear is what is at stake here, And our job is to prevent it from happening again . Fixing the contributing factors is fine but first address the cause.
Of course, but I notice that runway incursions are not exactly rare. Consequently, procedures in place to prevent them are not exactly watertight, and I also notice that there has been R/T communication between aircraft and ground for the best part of a century so I fail to see how further tweaking of R/T procedure is likely permanently to fix the hole, everywhere.

The SMR failed because none of the small handful people in a position to see it did, and that handful didn't include the A350 crew. The proper safety net to catch a runway incursion is to enable the maximum number of people to become aware of it, including those most immediately affected by it, maximising the chance that it will be acted upon successfully.

The salient feature of this accident is that for that aerodrome it was caused by a non-standard aircraft operating in a non-standard manner. Had the CG been an Airbus or Boeing broadcasting position and heading information as normal the accident probably wouldn't have happened. Even if ADS-B position is insufficiently precise to show the aircraft on the runway rather than the taxiway, heading would have shown it pointing the wrong way, a rather obvious anomaly.

Last edited by Iron Duck; 10th Jan 2024 at 08:18.