PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAL incident at Haneda Airport
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2024, 07:21
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron Duck
I'd still put it the other way around. For whatever reason, or combination of reasons, a clear runway suddenly wasn't, and no-one knew. Of all the people who needed to know, top of the list was the A350 crew. CG being visible on ADS-B would have revealed it to them, all other factors notwithstanding.
Well you can put it around in your mind but this is not how we work in incident investigation .Also ADS-B is not a factor in this accident . the Dash was detected by the SMR, an alert was issued but missed .

The runway monitoring system was working properly at the time of the accident, but the air traffic controllers apparently failed to notice the blinking indicator, according to a source close to the transport ministry.
That is one major contributing factor. The main cause. the initial error if you like, is the Dash entering the runway without clearance., and why the entire crew seemed to believed they were clear is what is at stake here, And our job is to prevent it from happening again . Fixing the contributing factors is fine but first address the cause.

As to the Dash being visible to the A350, as I said before ,TCAS is not enough sensitive in azimuth and you cannot on a TCAS display ascertain if the aircraft is on a holding point or on the runway , ASAS , which would have worked here and I think you are refereeing to, is unfortunately is not yet approved . .

Last edited by ATC Watcher; 10th Jan 2024 at 07:34. Reason: addition