PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Other aviation hazards
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2024, 06:55
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Semreh
So what you are saying is that when the airspace is peppered with aircraft, an aviator worth his salt will not change heading in an emergency descent, simply squawk on 7700 and R/T calf sign + emergency descent to 10.000 ft, and that cuts the mustard.

(Sorry, I have an unfortunate predilection for puns. Mods are free to delete this before I do. (Well, they can anyway, but I formally don't mind))
I know you\re trying to score points but remember an emergency descent is an emergency., the goal you save your skin and that of the passengers behind you as soon as possible and there are no fixed rules that will guarantee a safe outcome. Years back I.ve been doing combined SIM sessions with one major European carrier to try to find solutions but there are none

The best we found is the 7700 squawk. and an initial call using your real call sign . What we found at the time is that in a real emergency , in stress pilots are often automatically reverting to the dummy call sign used in the SIM when practicing that emergency ..