PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2024, 16:51
pulse1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Years ago I was at a business conference and got chatting to another attendee. It turned out that he had been a Vulcan pilot and I said that he seemed a bit young to be an ex RAF pilot. He told me that, when people asked where he was when he heard that Kennedy had been shot, he would never forget. He was at 40,000' over Liverpool and just after the news came over the radio, an engine fire alarm went off. An engine was on fire and had to be shut down and this was successfully carried out. The captain decided to return to base even though the weather was now below limits. They started an approach (presumably PAR) and at about 1000' they had another fire alarm and had to shut down a second engine while maintaining the approach. After a successful landing, he went straight into the boss's office and resigned his commission.

I have no idea if this story is true but I wondered if, on a thread designed to attract Vulcan crews, someone might remember an occasion when a Vulcan crew had such an adventure resulting in the resignation of a co-pilot. You never know he might even be here himself.