PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airspeed/D.H. Ambassador.
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2024, 12:45
Jhieminga

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by WHBM
Airspeed Commercial Director Nevil Shute was more interested in writing his novels.
I know this is an old quote... but I wanted to provide a bit of perspective. Nevil Shute Norway left Airspeed in 1938 after some internal struggles. He stated in his autobiography 'Slide Rule' that he very much enjoyed starting the company but he was not a 'runner' and was not suited for the work needed to enable the company to grow further. His departure was also a way to allow the company to do that and he left with a significant sum of money. This allows him to do some more writing but he joins the Admiralty at the start of WWII, moving to the Ministry if Information in 1944. After the war the income from his books allow him to set up full time as a novelist. None of the biographies written by and about him suggest that his writing plays a part in his departure from Airspeed.

As for the Airspeed Ambassador... 'Behind the Cockpit Door' by Arthur Whitlock has some great descriptions of operating the type with BKS. I need to reread it soon I'm thinking....