PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2024, 12:14
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
A Nght to Remember -part 9. By RONALD HOMES, pilot, 101 Special Duties Sqn RAF

STARING into the black night sky to hold onto a black smudge while you’re searching the blackness for other black smudges which could turn out to be a lot more sinister is very tiring, but if we can spot them first we stand a chance of living. My eyes are getting tired now and I have to fight off the drowsiness that threatens to engulf me. Onwards into the blackness relieved only by the red glow from the exhaust of the port inner engine. It always seem to be uncomfortably bright on these very dark nights.

“Pilot to navigator, we must be getting close to the turning point now.” “ Navigator to pilot, yes skipper, only another minute to run, then onto one three six compass, ETA for next turning point is 38. “Roger navigator, turning now onto one three six compass, ETA at 38, airspeed 190.

Suddenly a bright orange ball of fire lights up the sky about a quarter of a mile on the port beam when a Lancaster and its full fuel and bomb load disintegrates. “Some poor sods have bought it skip”, “Pilot to midupper, if that's you, OK we can see it.” “Pilot to crew, there was no sign of flak chaps, so that means fighters. Keep your eyes skinned, navigator make a note of that on your log.” “ OK skipper.”

Onward we drone with the aircraft swinging slightly from side to side as the gunners swing their turrets in their endless searching into the blackness. Eyes staring into the dark sky, and what’s that? A faint patch of light on the port beam. What the……? Of course it’s the moon just coming up and behind a patch of cloud. Not a full one tonight, thank God!

“Pilot to rear gunner, OK?” “ OK skip, the moon’s just showing up on the port beam”, “Good show, I’m glad you’ve spotted it, keep a good look out to starboard, we might be silhouetted against that light patch. Midupper?” “OK skipper”

“Pilot to crew, everybody still awake?” “Special OK, skip, there’s quite a bit of fighter activity on the frequencies.” “OK Special. Wireless, you OK?” “OK skip, we just got the broadcast wind and I’ve passed it to the nav.” “Navigator’s OK skip, turn onto 138 compass, we’re slightly to port of track, the wind has gone round a bit to the west. ETA is still good at 38 for the turning point”. “Roger navigator, pilot to bombaimer, are you OK?” “Bombaimer to pilot OK, I’m still chucking out this bloody Window!” “OK keep up the good work!” “Ha, Ha!”

Last edited by Geriaviator; 9th Jan 2024 at 13:17.
The following 4 users liked this post by Geriaviator: